Enchiladas En Un Jiffy

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How do you like that for some Spanish?  You’d never know I was in a Spanish honors program in both high school and college, would you?

It’s 4pm on a Wednesday and I’m sitting in my apartment watching recorded Project Runway in my pajamas.  How in the world does one get the flu in SUMMER?  More importantly, why can’t Gretchen just shut her danged, high-horse mouth?

Back to the fabulous enchiladas (if I do say so myself.  And I do.).  I go back and forth between calling these my Christmas Enchiladas because they’re made with red and green sauces.  But then I realize how dumb that sounds and I stop.

These cheesy delights are only about 30 minutes of work and will please the masses.  Unless they’re lactose intolerant.  FYI.  You’ll make your own enchilada sauce (don’t get scurred!) and do some dipping, stuffing and rolling, so suit up! 

Christmas Weeknight Enchiladas

1 lb ground turkey

Olive oil

1/4 cup chili powder

1/4 tsp of the following:  cumin, onion powder and garlic powder (or you can finely chop a couple of fresh cloves, my personal preference)

Green onions (a bunch)

salt and pepper

1 cup water

tortillas

Mexican blend cheese

El Pato Mexican Sauce (red sauce)

Green Chile Enchilada Sauce

________________________

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix water, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and garlic powder.  Set aside.  Chop green onions.  Brown turkey in 1 tb olive oil, adding in spice mixture as you go.  Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, pour red sauce onto a large plate.  Dip each tortilla into sauce, covering completely.  Add meat mixture inside tortilla, cheese, chopped green onion.  Wrap tortilla and place in glass baking dish.

When done wrapping, cover enchiladas with more of your cheese blend.  Then pour green chile sauce over all enchiladas.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

No comments: