Grilled Ratatouille - Or So She Calls It.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

So...life has changed for me. In a good way. Some people may look at this change as bad, or depressing, but those are generally people who don't know me very well. Those who do now see me as a happier, sunshiny-er, driven person. I'm just minus a spouse. Has life been perfect for the past six months as I've ridden this ride? Naturally, no. Am I headed toward more of life's adventures? Most definitely, yes.

That put me at a cooking crossroads. My previous cooking escapades involved another person I was experimenting with, creating for and sharing with. And when things ended, so did my zest for cooking.

Then I woke up and realized I have WAY too many friends to not bring back this hobby that had previously brought me so much joy, accomplishment and a sense of self-worth. WTF was I thinking? Being surrounded by friendship, food and wine is pretty much my most favorite thing. Ever. So hop back on the ride with me as I now show them what I've got.

Last night, my neighbors, Kim and Luna came over for a deeeelicious dinner of roasted veggies and chicken over couscous with pita wedges I toasted and served with goat cheese. I adapted this from Rachael Ray, who tried to call it ratatouille. I think Rachael Ray is full of poop on this one and has never had the real stuff in France.

Roasted "Ratatouille" over CousCous
adapted from Everyday Rachael Ray

3 large tomatoes, halved crosswise
2 bell peppers, quartered
2 zucchini, thickly sliced lengthwise
1 eggplant, thickly sliced lengthwise
1 onion, thickly sliced crosswise
1 head garlic, halved crosswise
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar


1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Cut veggies into wedges (leave garlic cloves whole) and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes.
2. After roasting, toss veggies with red wine vinegar and additional salt and pepper.

I served the veggies over couscous and tossed in pre-cooked chicken strips. I then cut pitas into wedges and baked them in the preheated oven for 10 minutes and served with a soft chevre.

8 comments:

~M~ said...

I'm glad you're back!

Jaime said...

SO happy to see you back.

Ally said...

Glad you're back...and that looks yum!

Jackie said...

If you decide you need someone to come live in your California house and eat your food and tell you how delicious it is, you have my number. :-)
Welcome back!

girlLawyer said...

I'm so glad you're back! And I think it's wonderful that you've taken a life experience and turned it into a positive thing! I'm looking forward to more great posts form a happier, sunshiny-er, more driven Faith!

White Toast with Butter said...

I'm glad you are back too! I've missed your posts.

HappyMommy02 said...

Yay! Looking forward to witty Faith and yummy recipes. My husband loves the risotto! Missed ya.

SmartAssMom said...

Welcome back, Faith. Glad to see you posting again.