Life is Just a Bowl Full of Cranberries.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cranberry Sauce

Some moments are sweet. Some are sour. But combined, you have a pretty good chance of maintaining a nice balance.

Holy shucks, that was sappy, no? But…shoot, I’d write that down if I were you. Before I figure out some genius already said it somewhere else.

This recipe was one I used on Thanksgiving, to give a more real food spin to the usual canned cranberry sauce. Now, I’d be lying if I told you I didn’t like that canned stuff. I ignore the fact that Ocean Spray straight up molded a berry into a gelatinous wonder, but I just can’t help it.

Whether you secretly adore the canned version, too, or simply think I’m crazy, I’d recommend you try this version this winter while they’re still in season.

P.S.: did you know these are called “bounceberries” because they bounce when ripe? I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to call them cranberries again.

 

Sugared Vanilla Bean Cranberries

- 2.5 cups sugar

- 1.5 cups water

- seeds scraped from one vanilla bean

 

1. First, you’re going to make a simple syrup. Bring your water and 2 cups of the sugar to a simmer over medium heat and stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.

2. During the simple syrup making process, put your cranberries into a heatproof dish. Pour the simple syrup over the top of the berries. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

3. The next day, pulse the remaining .5 cup sugar with the vanilla bean seeds in a food processor and then transfer to a shallow dish. Use a slotted spoon or colander to strain the cranberries. Then roll the cranberries in the sugar and spread on a parchment-covered baking sheet.

4. Let set for one hour, then serve!

2 comments:

High Plains Drifters said...

So, no cooking or baking the cranberries? Just simple syrup and vanilla sugar? Sounds like a hoot!

Faith, the Authoress said...

Hi, HPD! No baking or cooking, although I may try baking them next time to bring out some sweetness. Soaking them in the simple syrup overnight actually softens them. But you could definitely heat them up in the oven if you wanted a hot side dish.