Popeye Has Nothing on Me: Introducing the Green Monster

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Many of you may scoff at my new 3x/week breakfast. Some of you may even get that twingey, my-lunch-is-about-to-make-a-reappearance feeling in your throat. I'm imagining, however, that if you read food blogs, you're open to trying new stuff. And by new stuff, I'm straight up talking about my latest obsession, The Green Monster.

I'm going to make you a quick promise here: YOU WON'T TASTE THE SPINACH IN THIS!

Try it. Just once. Not only do these taste great like whoa, their nutritional value is off the charts. I did the math (doozie. I need to stick to writing from here on out, peeps), and you're looking at 371 calories and 35 grams of fat, which as a breakfast in the morning will easily be burned off throughout your day. Most of the fat grams are obtained from the flax meal, but the benefits far outweigh the fat content - flax is seriously chock FULL of omega-3s and lignans (fight that cancer, baby). It has a nutty flavor that calms down the spinach and leaves your tastebuds happy.

The Original Green Monster

2 cups fresh spinach
1-1.25 cups milk (your choice of cow’s milk, soy, hemp, almond, rice, etc)
1 tablespoon flax (optional)
1 banana
frozen peaches

The order in which you place the ingredients in the blender is important! Putting in the flax and spinach first will ensure that the rest of the ingredients weigh these two superpowers down so they don't fly all over the dang place inside your blender. So stick those in first, then cut up the banana into the machine, add your milk and then your frozen fruit of choice. Blend, baby. Blend.

Side note: I used frozen peaches for my first Green Monster. This morning, I chose blueberries (wicked good.) Feel free to go crazy, as long as you either use a frozen fruit or ice. This thingamabobber tastes far better cold!

4 comments:

undercover caterer said...

you are correct, this looks disgusting. However, I am looking forward to being healthy during this time I'm off work. Think I could sub something else for banana? Not my favorite.

Faith, the Authoress said...

Yup! The banana simply thickens it up. I would love to tell you that it doesn't have a strong banana taste, but I'd be lying. Adding some protein powder or canned pumpkin (which will make this drink look even fuglier, but put it in a pretty glass and voila!)

~Melissa~ said...

Geoff told me about your blog, and I just whipped up a green monster with frozen strawberries. O. M. G. Delish. Even my 5 year old liked it!

Faith, the Authoress said...

That's awesome, Melissa! Great way to get a kid to drink his or her veggies!